There’s really no simpler meal to prepare than oatmeal. It’s perfect for the campfire, but it’s not usually top of the list of foods that make you drool. The key to solving this is in the ingredients. Growing up, a super popular ingredient would have been brown sugar. You know what would go great with brown sugar? Apples. Apple slices with some cinnamon will add some natural sweeteners. Another excellent ingredient to consider which will add a bump of protein will be a mix of flax, chia, and hemp seeds.
The simplest way to prepare this would be to add boiling water to your oats, flax, chia, and hemp. Then, once the oats absorb the hot water, mix in your other ingredients. Start with the apples so they can warm up, then top it off with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 2 cups water
- pinch salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 medium apple, diced into 1/2 cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons hemp, flax, or chia seeds, (we use a blend of equal parts hemp flax, and chia)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Heat the water and salt into a medium pot until it comes to a boil.
- Add the oats, simmer for about ten minutes, or until the oats are tender, stirring occasionally. Halfway through the cooking time, add the apple, spices, and maple syrup.